Harlan D. Hockenberg
An experienced corporate attorney and consultant, Harlan “Bud” Hockenberg taps into law and management experience to advise Iowa businesspeople through all facets of their unique business, estate planning, probate, real estate, and transaction needs.
Clients benefit from Hockenberg’s experience at the intersection of law, politics and business. His motivation is to help clients achieve their business goals, solve their business challenges and be effective leaders.
A public policy strategist and political consultant, Bud’s extensive political background complements his legal practice, providing the experience, the contacts and the “realty check” to help Iowa business leaders successfully navigate the intersection of business and politics. Bud is a “door opener” to help clients build relationships with key opinion leaders in the local, state and national arenas to help advance their business goals.
In addition, Bud is known for his work preparing and mentoring up and coming leaders for the business of public service, shaped by his several decades of experience as a political advisor. His time tested “public service boot camp” guides prospective candidates through all facets of the process, from assembling teams of advisors to preparing for the impact of public service on one’s business life and family life.
Bud is chairman of the Grassley Committee, Inc.
Prior to joining the firm in 2007, Bud practiced with Des Moines area firms Abramson, Meyers and Hockenberg; Davis, Hockenberg, Wine, Brown, Koehn and Shores; and Sullivan & Ward.
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 1952
- Board of Editors, Iowa Law Review
- B.A., University of Iowa, 1949
- Member, Omicron Delta Kappa and Phi Delta Phi
Honors & Awards
- AV Peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional & Civic Activities
- Member, Polk County Bar Association
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Past Chair, Professionalism Committee
- Member, American Bar Association
- Fellow, Iowa State Bar Foundation
- Consultant to National Advisory Council to the Robert D. and Billie Ray Center at Drake University
- Council Member, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (2003-2006)
- Member, Republican Jewish Coalition
- Member, Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines
- Board of Directors, Iowans Supporting Israel, Inc.
- Member, Christians United for Israel
- Member, Iowa Federalist Society
- Member, Iowa Association of Business and Industry
- Member, AIPAC National Council (American Israel Public Affairs Committee)